Hamas claims settlement attack as Arafat unmoved by Sharon assassination threats
One Israeli settler was killed and his 14-year-old daughter injured when a Palestinian infiltrated the West Bank settlement of "Avnei Hefetz" early Saturday, Israel Radio reported.
The Palestinian was shot and killed by Israeli troops.
This attack came after Israeli troops killed on Friday four Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Hours after the attack, Hamas claimed responsibility.
Late on Friday, large contingents of Israeli troops raided the West Bank city of Nablus, Israeli military sources said. Witnesses said troops stormed high rise buildings in the city and searched houses. More than 20 Palestinians were reported arrested.
Meanwhile, Palestinian president, Yasser Arafat on Saturday brushed aside threats by Israeli leaders that he might become a target for assassination. "For me, I don't care," Arafat told reporters at his West Bank headquarters in Ramallah. "I care only for my people."
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in comments published Friday, said Arafat has no "insurance."
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israeli forces kill Palestinian near Jewish settlement attacked in morning; four Israelis shot dead
- Five Palestinians Injured in Clashes with Israeli Troops in West Bank
- Six Palestinians, Israeli soldier killed in Gaza Strip, W. Bank as Israeli forces operate near Arafat HQ
- One Israeli soldier killed, two wounded in West Bank shooting attack
- Four Palestinians, settler killed in West Bank and Gaza Strip