Hamas, Islamic Jihad urge Israel to free all Palestinian prisoners
Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas is due to discuss Friday the prisoners issue, and the cease-fire announced by the Palestinian factions, at a meeting with leaders of the Islamic Jihad movement in the Gaza Strip.
Islamic Jihad dismissed Israel's release of about 50 prisoners on Thursday as "cosmetic." It and Hamas said Israel must free all the thousands of Palestinians it holds or risk the collapse of the cease-fire.
"We are looking for serious releases of mujahideen fighters and strugglers," Islamic Jihad leader Mohammed al-Hindi told Reuters. "We are looking for the release of all the prisoners and the top priority are those serving long sentences... as well as women, children and ill people," he said.
On Thursday, Israel freed a senior Palestinian security official who is a top aide of Muhammad Dahlan, the PA minister in charge of security affairs. Another 52 prisoners were released as well.
An additional prisoner release scheduled for next week is likely to comprise another several hundred of the 6,000 Palestinians held by Israel. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Haaretz: PA Freed Islamic Jihad, Hamas Prisoners
- Israel releases Islamic Jihad leader from prison
- Israel decides not to release Hamas, Islamic Jihad prisoners
- Israel razes two West Bank homes, agrees to free Hamas, Islamic Jihad activists
- Report: Egypt's Intelligence Chief, Mossad boss hold meeting; Israel may free jailed Hamas, Islamic Jihad activists