Hamas, Israel reach prisoner exchange deal
A deal has been reached today between Israel and Hamas in which captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit will be freed in exchange for 1000 Palestinian prisoners.
Shalit was kidnapped on the border with Gaza Strip in 2006.
Previous negotiations have all broken down, however the Israeli cabinet was meeting Tuesday night to discuss an agreement with Hamas in a special meeting called by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
A source close to the talks which where held in Egypt said the deal could implemented within the next few days.
- Hamas leader: Israel creating obstacles to reach prisoner exchange deal
- Egypt, Israel reach deal on prisoners exchange deal
- Olmert in last-ditch attempt to reach prisoners exchange deal with Hamas
- 20 Palestinian women to be freed by Israel in exchange for info on captured soldier
- Hamas, Israel fail to reach prisoners deal