Haniyeh to form new Palestinian cabinet
Paleatinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Thursday designated Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas to form a new Palestinian government after accepting his resignation. The move paves the way for installation of a unity government with Hamas and Fatah.
"Mr Ismail Haniyeh, we designate you to form the Palestinian government," Abbas told Haniyeh at a joint news conference in Gaza City. Abbas told Haniyeh "I invite you to respect" past Palestinian agreements with Israel. Haniyeh vowed to "work in accordance" with Abbas's letter of designation.
Abbas and Haniyeh met in Gaza on Thursday for talks aimed at resolving disputes over the powerful security forces.
Haniyeh said that "now I will start my negotiations with all political parties and factions."
- Abbas, Haniyeh discuss referendum; American student briefly abducted in W. Bank
- Abbas asks Haniyeh to form new cabinet as Hamas leader says talks with Israel a ”waste of time”
- Abbas: New Palestinian cabinet must be formed
- Abbas asks Hamas to form new cabinet as Israel urges world not to ”legitimize” Hamas
- Abbas asks Hamas to form cabinet, recognize accords with Israel