Human right situation deteriorates in Tunisia
Tunisian and foreign organizations expressed their "outrage at the rapid deterioration of the human rights situation in Tunisia". <i>Afrol News</i> reports that after it denied permission from the founding congress of the Tunisian Journalists' Union (SJT) to adjourn on Wednesday, the Tunisian authorities have now also prevented the Tunisian League for Human Rights (LTDH) from holding its annual congress, which was scheduled to begin yesterday, October 25.
In an official statement released yesterday, a broad-based coalition of rights groups from all over the world declared that "this drastic decision, targeting the oldest human rights' organization in the Arab World and Africa, aims to stifle the most important organization for the defense of human rights in Tunisia".
- Two Human Rights Watchdogs Accuse Tunisia of Waging ‘all-out Campaign’ against Activists
- Once more police surround human rights group
- Tunisia Bans Former Head of Human Rights Association from Travel
- Russian academic awarded Tunisian President's Prize for World Solidarity
- Human Rights Organizations Want Tunisia Human Rights Record Reviewed by EU