Iran will strike back against the U.S., Israel if military option used
Iran's General Hassan Firouzabadi warned neighboring countries to not let anyone attack Iran from their soil (Courtesy of Persian Umpire)
Iran's armed forces chief of staff told reporters Wednesday that Iran is "prepared for a decisive battle" against Israel and the U.S. if attacked, according to Agence France Presse.
"We are ready for the decisive battle with America and the Zionist regime (Israel). We do not have any hostility towards regional states, but if we are ever attacked from the American bases in the region we will strike that area back," Fars News Agency quoted General Hassan Firouzabadi as saying.
Firouzabadi's comments come after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters last month that if diplomacy efforts fail with Iran, "the military option of the United States is ready and prepared to do what it would have to do."
Firouzabadi and other top Iranian officials have called Kerry's comments political bluffing, with President Hassan Rouhani calling the West delusional for even considering a military option.
"I say explicitly, if some have delusions of having any threats against Iran on their tables, they need to wear new glasses. There is no military option against Iran on any table in the world," said Rouhani.
However, Firouzabadi has nonetheless warned neighboring countries to not allow "any attack to be launched on Iran from their soil," particularly in reference to Washington's military bases in Bahrain, Kuwait the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
Tehran is expected to resume talks on its nuclear program in Vienna Monday with Britain, France, the United States, Russia and China plus Germany in an effort to create a practical strategy to implement last November's landmark nuclear agreement.
Both the United States and Israel have maintained military action as an option to prevent Iran from developing its nuclear capabilities in the case that diplomatic efforts fail.