Iran Speaker calls for massive turnout in presidential elections
Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Thursday that massive turnout in the presidential elections next month will reduce threats and strengthen the Islamic government. According to IRNA, Larijani made the comments during the closing ceremony of 27th Quranic recitation contests of the armed forces in Tehran on Thursday.
"An Islamic and democratic government seeks active presence of all people and this is among their responsibilities to fulfill such a grave task," he said. The elected president should pursue the 20-Year Strategy Plan for Economic, Cultural and Social Development (2005-2010) as stressed by the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Iran's former nuclear negotiator said.
He also advised Iranian citizens to elect the most eligible and qualified candidate in the upcoming presidential elections. An Islamic government should act based on rationality and a well-defined plan, he said.
An Islamic country cannot live in isolation, he underlined.
On the issue of terrorism, he said “Iran is opposed to terrorism. We support Hizbullah and Hamas which are not terrorist groups and only fight to defend their legitimate rights.”
- Khamenei Urges Massive Voter Turnout for Presidential Elections
- Iran election news: Speaker vows to cooperate with Ahmadinejad
- Iranian president calls for higher turnout in run-off election
- Iran elects president: Khamenei calls for massive participation in vote
- Iran calls for presidential elections in Syria