Iran, Syria hail Hizbullah swap deal
Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki on Thursday held discussions with Syrian President Bashar Assad on regional and international developments. President Assad said, during the meeting: "We all are proud of recent victories of the Lebanese Hizbullah and we felicitate the freedom of Lebanese prisoners of war."
The Iranian foreign minister also said commended Hizbullah for winning the release of Lebanese prisoners from Israeli jails. Mottaki said the release of prisoners was an achievement both for the Islamic movement and the Lebanese nation. "The glad news of the release of Lebanese prisoners by the Zionist regime is part of the achievement by the Islamic Hezbollah and the dear Lebanese people's resistance. We congratulate them for this great victory," Mottaki said.
Five Lebanese prisoners freed by Israel arrived to a hero's welcome in Lebanon on Wednesday, hours after Hizbullah handed over the bodies of two Israeli soldiers seized by its fighters two years ago.
- Iran welcomes Hizbullah-Israel deal
- Report: Negotiations renewed between Israel and Hizbullah on release of prisoners
- Nasrallah: Hizbullah to do "all it takes" to release Lebanese prisoners
- Report: Hizbullah Rejects Israeli Offer To Release Prisoners In Exchange For Information
- Hizbullah chief threatens to capture more Israelis in order to release Lebanese prisoners