Iran, Syria vow to expand military cooperation
Iranian Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Rear Admiral Ali Shamkhani said in Damascus Friday that Iran and Syria would boost their bilateral security cooperation to guarantee the security in the Middle East region.
Speaking to IRNA after inking a military and defense
agreement between the two sides, he said they have pledged to make every effort to preserve the security in the region.
He stressed the importance of expanding defense cooperation with Syria and hoped his visit to Damascus would lead to more palpable results in the area of defense and security cooperation.
For his part, Syrian Defense Minister Major General Mustafa Tlas expressed satisfaction over his Iranian counterpart`s visit to Syria and termed it important in light of the current sensitive regional and international situation.
He it is important for both countries to cooperate on security.
Commenting on the US pressure on Syria and the alleged infiltration of Muslim fighters into Iraq through Syrian borders, Tlas said Syria has become accustomed to US pressures and such issues would not lead to neglecting the country`s goals.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- At least eight Iraqis killed in blasts, clashes as Iran vows to cooperate with new Iraq government
- Saudis seek to expand military cooperation with Iran
- Interior Minister: Syria Ready to Expand Security Cooperation with Iran
- Iran, Pakistan Vow to Increase Military Cooperation
- Egypt, Syria to Expand Cooperation