Iran using US technology to crack down on banned websites
The Islamic Republic of Iran is using advanced US technology to block websites containing pornographic material and others run by opposition groups, an official said Tuesday.
More than 140 websites promoting dissent against the ruling Islamic establishment, dancing and sex have been blocked since the crackdown was launched last month, said Farhad Sepahram, a Telecommunications Ministry official.
Most blocked sites belong to Iranian opposition groups, including one run by Reza Pahlavi, son of the late Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and Abolhassan Banisadr, Iran's first-elected president after 1979, who currently opposes the clerical establishment. Also blocked are the Voice of America's Farsi program and radiofarda.com, another U.S.-financed, Farsi-speaking radio program.
Sepahram said his ministry had blocked sevral pornographic sites run by Iranians from outside the country, but admitted it was impossible to close all sex-related sites.
"We are employing modern U.S.-made devices to block immoral and abusive web sites," Sepahram told AP. Sepahram said Tehran imported the U.S.-made technology from third parties, however refused to provide further details. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
Top Headlines
Recent Articles
- Iran Denies Blocking Internet for Youth Under 18
- Late Shah’s son: Iran could resort to nuclear weapons to survive
- Kingdom of Bahrain Blocks Access to Opposition Internet Sites
- U.S. says Iran has secret program to develop nuclear weapons, Tehran denies
- Jordan unblocks some news websites: vast majority remain banned


















