Iran welcomes talks with world powers

Published April 13th, 2009 - 12:06 GMT

Iran on Monday said it is ready to talk with a group of six world powers over its nuclear works. Saeed Jalili, a top official with the Supreme National Security Council of Iran, told EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana in a telephone call that Tehran is willing to discuss the issue, Iranian news agency ISNA reported.

 

"The Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes discussion with the group of six for a constructive cooperation,earlier this week," Jalili told Solana, according to the ISNA report. Last week, the United States, Britain, Russia, China, France, and Germany said Solana has been tasked to invite Iran for talks on its nuclear development plan.

 

Jalili also insisted in his conversation with Solana that the all parties involved in the talks should have the "right understanding of international developments and realities," added the report.