Iranian Women Block Road in Demand for Better Living Conditions
Some 3,000 Iranians, mainly women, burned tires and blocked a main road southwest of Tehran Tuesday in protest at poor living conditions, including a lack of water, gas and electricity, an AFP correspondent witnessed.
The demonstration began when several hundred women from Shatareh, near Islamshahr, 30 kilometers from the capital, gathered on the highway shouting slogans of protest.
The crowd quickly grew with men and young people of both sexes joining the women. They totally blocked the road, setting alight tires and paper -- ISLAMSHAHR, Iran (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Press: Iran Factory Workers Block Highway to Protest Unpaid Salaries
- Iranian students stage anti-government protest; Scores arrested
- Two prostitution rings dismantled in Iran
- Israeli Arab Workers Clash with Police in Second Day of Nazareth Protests
- Two Iranians Sentenced to Death for Raping Dozens of Women