Iranians mark 1979 US Embassy seizure
Iran on Wednesday marked the takeover of the US embassy in Tehran on November 4, 1979. Many Iranians gathered at the site of the former US embassy in Tehran, better known in Iranian history as the "den of spies". They shouted slogans against Israel and the United States as they marched through Tehran's streets.
Speaking on the occasion, the Iranian Majlis (Parliament) speaker said the seizure "shattered the false image of US invincibility in the eyes of the world, the process of destruction continuing up to today."
According to IRNA, Gholam Ali Haddad Adel said the taking over of the US embassy by Iranian students "defused the plots of the enemy and made it passive."
It should be mentioned that takeover was in protest against the US decision to give refuge to deposed Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- Majlis Speaker justifies take over of US embassy in Tehran in 1979
- Israeli embassy seizure in Cairo reminds us of U.S. embassy capture in Tehran
- Iranians mark 39th anniversary of US embassy takeover
- Iran denies President-elect participated in 1979 siege of US embassy
- Iran's choice for UN ambassador outrages America