Senior Iraqi intelligence officer among the dead after suicide bombs hit Mosul
An Iraqi police officer looks at people fishing by the Tigris river facing the Shahid (martyr) Monument. (AFP PHOTO/PATRICK BAZ)
Iraq has seen an increase in suicide bombings since the start of the year as Sunni Islamist insurgents tied to al Qaeda try to ignite the kind of sectarian violence that pushed the country close to civil war in 2006-2007.
- Suicide bomber kills at least 10 Shiite pilgrims in Iraq
- More violence in Yemen: suicide bomber kills army intelligence officer
- Yemen sinks deeper into chaos after Daesh claims mosque bombings
- Nine Iraqis dead as top US officers cleared in prisoner abuse case
- Lebanon: Senior army officer, bodyguards killed in Beirut bombing attack