Iraq death toll in June highest in 11 months
According to Iraq’s Health Ministry, the number of Iraqi deaths in the month of June was the highest in almost a year. There were 438 deaths from assassinations, bombings and shootings. 68 of them were members of Iraq’s security forces.
Last month was the most since last July, when 465 Iraqis died. The latest death tally comes as United States troops leave Iraq’s cities and urban areas, taking a major step towards full withdrawal. The jump in casualty toll gives Iraqi’s a reflection of what they can expect in the months ahead.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the U.S. Military says, “insurgents are no longer capable of sustaining prolonged assaults and instead focus on generating bursts of bloodshed.”
- Top U.S. commander expects Iraqi forces to take full control within 12 to 18 months
- US death toll in Iraq rises to 86 during October
- Iraq: Death toll in October - the lowest since Febraury 2006
- At least 32 die in Iraq blast as Obama hails withdrawal from cities
- Iraq: At least 56killed in attacks; US death toll in December - 108