Iraq Denies Mortar Attack on Kuwait
Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Tareq Aziz denied an alleged mortar attack Sunday on Kuwait, saying the reports of an Iraqi shell being fired at Kuwait are part of the lies the Kuwaitis are trying to spread to damage Iraq,” according to AFP.
"The Kuwaitis always spread such lies and allegations to harm Iraq and this did not surprise me," said Aziz.
A spokesman for the UN Iraq-Kuwait Observers Mission (UNIKOM), Daljeet Bagga, had told the agency that a mortar bomb had fired from Iraqi territory on a Kuwaiti border post.
Meanwhile, the Kuwaiti MP, Waleed Al Tabtabaei warned on Tuesday from the ‘aggressive intentions of Saddam Hussein towards Kuwait.”
Kuwait’s official news agency (KUNA) quoted the MP as saying that the “Iraqi aggression against Kuwait is historic and reoccurent.”
The Kuwaiti foreign ministry was quoted by the agency as saying that “earlier that a mortar shell fired from Iraqi territory exploded just inside the emirate.” – Albawaba.com