Iraq: Over 40 dead in attacks on Shiite pilgrims

Published February 24th, 2008 - 01:37 GMT

A suicide bomber attacked Shiite pilgrims on a main road south of Baghdad, killing at least 40 people and wounding 20 more. The blast occurred in Iskandariyah, police said, according to the AP.

 

The pilgrims were marching south toward Karbala to commemorate Arbaeen, the 40th day following the anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam Hussein. It was the second attack against Shiite pilgrims.

 

Earlier on Sunday, pilgrims were attacked by grenades and small-arms fire in the predominantly Sunni Baghdad neighbourhood of Dora, leaving at least three people dead and 36 wounded, police said.