Iraqi president starts historic Syria visit
Iraqi President Jalal Talabani on Sunday arrived in Syria on the first such high-level visit in three decades.
Talabani is to hold talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and other officials during his stay, his first since Baghdad and Damascus restored diplomatic ties in November after a 26-year rupture. "The aim of the visit is to evaluate and strengthen mutual relations for the benefit of both the countries," said a statement from Talabani's office Sunday, according to AFP.
On Friday, an official from Talabani's office said the two presidents are to sign a number of agreements on security and trade.
- Iraq PM starts historic Kuwait visit as Jordanian hostages set to be free
- Iranian President starts Lebanon visit
- Syrian president begins historic visit to Turkey with aim to improve ties
- Turkish president pays historic visit to Baghdad
- Arab summit: Kuwaiti leader in historic visit but Syria disputes remain