Israel’s Shin Bet Accuses Egypt of ‘Overlooking Palestinian Arms Smuggling’
At the Israeli cabinet meeting Monday, Avi Dichter, head of the internal intelligence service Shin Bet attacked Egypt, accusing its security services of turning a blind eye to what he described as “the daily weapons smuggling activities from Egypt to the Gaza Strip.”
According to him, these weapons are used against Israel by the Palestinians, said Israel Army Radio.
Israel has repeatedly accused the Palestinians of using ground tunnels to smuggle weapons from Egypt into the Palestinian lands.
Israeli premier, Ariel Sharon, was reported to have criticized Egypt’s deteriorating role in keeping regional peace during his recent visit to Washington, remarks which Sharon denied upon arrival home.
He was said to have asked the US administration to stop military aid to the Arab country – Albawaba.com
- Israel accuses Palestinians of smuggling arms on Arafat's plane
- Egypt-Gaza border closed as Israel claims Hamas smuggled advanced arms
- Shin Bet Boss Says More Israeli Arabs Join Hamas, Islamic Jihad; Arafat: Mossad Behind Karine A; Palestinian Killed
- Sharon Denies he Asked Bush Administration to Stop Aid to Egypt
- Israel Accuses Rjoub of Smuggling Weapons into Palestinian Territories