Israel demolishes houses in West Bank city, closes offices of Al Quds University President
The Israeli army demolished Saturday two homes in the West Bank town of Qalqilyah that belonged to the families of Palestinian activists who sent the suicide bomber to Tel Aviv's Dolphinarium last June. 22 Israelis, mostly youths, were killed in this bombing attack.
Elsewhere, Israeli police closed Friday the East Jerusalem offices of the president of Al-Quds University in East Jerusalem, Dr. Sari Nusseibeh, for the second time in three months. Nusseibeh himself is in Jordan.
This Israeli step came after Internal Security Minister Uzi Landau signed an order authorizing the closure. Police also closed down the Palestinian Youth and Sport Administration.
According to the minister, the reason for the closure of the two offices - both of which are located in East Jerusalem, is that they have been operating in Jerusalem without proper authorization. Police sources told the Israeli press the two offices had hosted official Palestinian Authority activities.
The closure comes one day after Jerusalem police denied a claim broadcast on Israel Radio that Palestinians in East Jerusalem established a committee, led by Nusseibeh, to deal with day-to-day issues encountered by Arab residents of East Jerusalem.
This is the second time that Nusseibeh's offices have been closed. In July, Israel closed the office, located at the Al-Quds University, on the grounds that Nusseibeh was violating the Oslo Accords. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- One Palestinian killed in firefight in Gaza Strip; Israel decides to reopen Sari Nusseibeh office in Jerusalem
- Body of Islamic Jihad activist found near Jenin, Palestinians blame Israel for assassination
- Israel claims it captured two would-be bombers in Nablus as U.S. slams closure of Al Quds university offices of Nusseibe
- Israel arrests for several hours leading Palestinian peace campaigner as three Palestinians nabbed in West Bank
- Kuwait donates one million dollars to Al-Quds University