Israel frees senior Hamas member
Israel on Thursday freed from prison a senior political leader of Hamas in the West Bank after he spent 28 months in an Israeli jail.
Immediately after his release, Sheikh Hassan Yussef, 49, traveled to Ramallah, where he placed a wreath and offered prayers at the tomb of Yasser Arafat, The AP reported.
Standing in front of the tomb, Yussef saluted the former Palestinian president, who died a week ago.
Yussef called on the new Palestinian leadership to work for the release of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.
"I came carrying with me a message from all the prisoners to the Palestinian people," Yussef said. "The prisoner issue should be a priority, and there can be no truce without solving the prisoner problem." (albawaba.com)
- A trail of poisonous secrets: Arafat's tomb-raid exposes 'other' state assassinations
- Israel frees senior Hamas leader
- Lebanon: Senior politician suspected of working for Israel
- Hamas member dies in West Bank prison
- Israel kills Palestinian security man, frees 100 prisoners including senior DFLP member