Istanbul: Four dead in attack on US consulate

Published July 9th, 2008 - 09:23 GMT

Three police officers died in a shooting outside the United States consulate in Istanbul on Wednesday, Turkish television said. Television images appeared to show four bodies on the ground in front of the complex.

 

According to the AP, armed men opened fire from a vehicle outside the consulate. On their part, TV stations NTV and CNN-Turk said three of the attackers were killed and one police officer later died in hospital from his injuries.

 

NTV also said some bystanders who had been waiting for US visas were also injured in the attack.