Jordan's King Abdullah will meet with Hamas leader in exile - sources
The Hamas leader in exile, Khaled Meshaal, arrived on Sunday in Jordan and will be meeting with the Kingdom's monarch on Monday, Maan News reported.
Senior Hamas official, Izzat al-Rishiq, confirmed to the news agency that the Hamas leader was in Jordan on an official visit but would not give any further details.
The two leaders have had a turbulent relationship although in recent years Meshaal has visited the Kingdom several times to discuss reconciliation between Fatah in the West Bank and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
Jordan is one of only two countries in the region to have signed peace accords with Israel. Hamas reitterated just this week that they would not engage in any kind of negotiations with the Jewish state in its current form.
- Hamas leader tells Jordan King he accepts a two-state solution - reports
- Hamas leaders meet in Cairo in search of potential Meshaal replacement
- Morsi to mediate Hamas, Fatah unity talks
- Report: Jordanian PM Meets with Hamas Militant in Qatar
- Report: Syria arrests five Mossad agents after failed bid to kill Hamas leader Meshaal