Khatami calls for free presidential election
Iran's Interior Ministry said in Tehran Tuesday that registration of candidates for the ninth presidential elections began at the ministry's Elections Headquarters. The 9th presidential elections are scheduled to be held on June 17.
The candidates are expected to register their names for the elections during five consecutive days, IRNA reported.
The Interior Ministry will pass related documents to the Guardian Council after the five-day deadline to examine the qualifications of the contenders within ten days.
Meanwhile, Iran's President Mohammad Khatami on Tuesday expressed hope free and competitive presidential elections would be held in June. Khatami made the statement at Bandar Abbas airport. "I hope people will follow the right path the Islamic Revolution has offered by their massive turnout and votes for a president, who can defend Iran's dignity and development," he said.
© 2005 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iran's Khatami emphasizes importance of free elections
- Iran: Mousavi calls on authorities to free detainees
- Iran commemorates 25th anniversary of Khomeini Revolution as president calls for free elections
- Egypt PM urges high voter turnout as presidential elections loom
- Ten Candidates, Including Khatami, to Vie for Iran’s Presidency