Kuwait to Hold by-Election on December 7
A by-election is to be held on December 7 in Kuwait to fill a parliamentary seat left vacant by the death of veteran liberal MP Sami al-Munayyes, the interior ministry announced Sunday.
Kuwait is the only Gulf Arab monarchy with an elected parliament and holds polls every four years to the 50-member, all-male assembly.
Munayyes, leader of the opposition liberal Kuwait Democratic Forum (KDF), died of a heart attack in Cairo on August 23. He was a leading government critic and served six terms as MP since first being elected in 1963.
Under Kuwaiti law, elections must be held within two months of announcing the death of an MP. The seat was declared vacant on Saturday during the opening session of parliament's new term – KUWAIT CITY (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Independent Businessman Wins Kuwait\'s by-Election
- Kuwait market witnessed strong growth in December 2006
- Announcing 35% rise in pre-attendance at the 14th annual GSM>3G Middle East Telco World Summit set to open 7-8 December in Dubai
- Veteran Liberal Kuwaiti MP Dead
- Burgan Bank holds its 11th annual Al Mass Awards event on Sunday