At least 400 Palestinians injured during clashes in past 24 hours
Israeli soldiers walk towards Palestinian protesters during clashes near the illegal Jewish settlement of Bet El in the West Bank, October 4, 2015. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Al-Quds as an alert
Disable alert for Al-Quds,
Click here to add Damascus as an alert
Disable alert for Damascus,
Click here to add Fadi Samir Mustafa Alloun as an alert
Disable alert for Fadi Samir Mustafa Alloun,
Click here to add Israeli police as an alert
Disable alert for Israeli police,
Click here to add Palestine Red Crescent Society as an alert
Disable alert for Palestine Red Crescent Society,
Click here to add Rafiq Halab as an alert
Disable alert for Rafiq Halab,
Click here to add Red Crescent as an alert
Disable alert for Red Crescent,
Click here to add Tel Aviv as an alert
Disable alert for Tel Aviv,
Click here to add West Bank as an alert
Disable alert for West Bank
At least three Palestinians have been killed and 400 others wounded in clashes with Israeli forces and settlers in the occupied West Bank during the past 24 hours, says the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS).
The PRCS said in a statement late on Sunday that 32 Palestinians had been shot with live rounds and 188 others with rubber-coated steel bullets since Saturday evening.
According to the statement, some 234 others were hospitalized due to excessive tear gas inhalation or beatings by Israeli security forces or settlers.
On Sunday, the Red Crescent declared a state of emergency across the occupied Palestinian territory following an upsurge in violence by Israeli troops and settlers.
The statement listed at least 14 attacks against Red Crescent staff and vehicles by Israeli forces and settlers over the past 72 hours, describing the violence as “a serious escalation of violations against PRCS, its teams and the humanitarian services they render.”
Earlier in the day, Israeli police shot dead a Palestinian youth identified as Fadi Samir Mustafa Alloun near the Damascus Gate of al-Aqsa Mosque compound after accusing him of attempting to stab an Israeli settler.
This is while a video of the moments leading to Alloun’s death shows him running toward an Israeli police patrol as a group of settlers are chasing him.
Following Alloun’s killing, tens of Israeli settlers stormed Palestinian homes and properties in the area, shouting anti-Arab and anti-Islam slogans. They also stormed Alloun’s home and reportedly abducted three of his family members.
A day earlier, Palestinian sources said two Israelis were killed and two others wounded in a clash between a Palestinian youth named as Mohannad Rafiq Halab and Israeli settlers in the occupied Old City of al-Quds.
There have been increasing clashes between Israelis and Palestinians over the storming of the al-Aqsa Mosque by settlers, who are being backed by Israel forces.
On Monday, Israeli forces deployed at the entrance of the Old City stopped and pushed back Palestinians trying to enter the area, which hosts the highly revered al-Aqsa Mosque.
Israel has imposed sweeping restrictions on entries into al-Aqsa Mosque compound since August 26.
Tel Aviv has also threatened to launch new military operations against Palestinians following the deaths of two Israelis over the weekend in al-Quds.
Meanwhile, Palestinian media quoting Israel's channel 2 reported disagreements between Israeli rabbis over attacking the al-Aqsa Mosque compound.
The report said that a number of Israeli rabbis have warned their followers against traveling to East al-Quds to avoid being caught in the middle of retaliatory operations carried out by Palestinians.