Lebanon: UN says rocket fire on Israel is ''serious breach'' of truce

The UN peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon on Monday said a rocket attack from Lebanese territory on Israel was a ''serious breach'' to the cease-fire that ended a war last year. It also urged the parties to exercise maximum restraint to prevent an escalation.
Two rockets fired from Lebanon landed on Monday in northern Israel, causing damage but no casualties. Hizbullah, which fought the Israelis last year, denied any involvement. The Lebanese army said three rockets were fired and a fourth was found before it was launched.
''Today's rocket attack from south Lebanon is considered a serious violation of Security Council Resolution 1701 and serious breach of cessation of hostilities agreement,'' said Yasmina Bouziane, a spokeswoman for the UN Interim Force in Lebanon.
According to the AP, she said rockets were fired from Lebanese territory in the general area of Adaisseh against Israel. ''The Lebanese army located the launching area and found four rocket launchers with time devices. There were three fired and the fourth failed to fire,'' she said.
UNIFIL and Lebanese troops intensified patrols of the area ''in order to locate the perpetrators and prevent any further attacks,'' she added. UNIFIL has conducted an investigation into the incident in close collaboration with the Lebanese army, the UN official said.
Israeli sources claimed Monday that at this stage Tel Aviv won't retaliate to Sunday's attack.


















