Moroccan Press Union Welcomes Royal Amnesty Granted to Banned Journalists
The Moroccan Press Union (SNPM) welcomed Wednesday a royal amnesty granted to two journalists, who were banned by a court sentence to practice journalism, after being condemned of libel, reported ArabicNews.com.
Mustapha Alaoui, manager of "Al Ousboue" weekly, and Khalid Mechbal, editor-in-chief of "Achamal" weekly, were condemned last April in a libel case filed by Moroccan foreign affairs and cooperation minister.
Quoting a statement published by the union, the agency said that the “SNPM renews its call for urgent amendments to the press code, so that it would protect journalists and ensure press freedom in the country.” – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Two Banned Moroccan Journalists Granted Amnesty
- Moroccan Journalists to Stage Strike Protesting Suppressed Press Freedom
- Moroccan Journalists Union calls to review current Press Code
- Rabat to host meeting of Int’l Journalists’ Federation, Arab Journalists’ Union
- Information Ministry Bans Weekly from Publication until New Editor Named