Netanyahu Holds Consultations to Discuss Return to Political Life
Former Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu will meet with a number of senior political figures on Wednesday to discuss his possible return to political life, reported Haaretz newspaper.
According to the paper, most Israeli politicians are taking it for granted that Netanyahu will in the end decide to run, but his cronies say he does not want to announce his candidacy until a date for new elections has been set.
In the meantime, Netanyahu has a more immediate goal: torpedoing a bill to abolish direct elections for the prime minister, said Haaretz.
Netanyahu is also working to soften up his opposition within the Likud.
He is particularly trying to mend fences with Likud Chairman Ariel Sharon and other members including Moshe Arens and Silvan Shalom.
According to one senior Likud official, Sharon's support is vital, since otherwise, he could launch a devastating attack on him based on the heavy debts with which he left the party saddled and on its loss of Knesset seats in the last election, Haaretz said – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel\'s Likud Convenes Tuesday to Decide Procedures for Choosing Party Leader
- Sharon, Netanyahu to Meet to Discuss Elections
- Growing Tension between Sharon, Netanyahu over Efforts to Annul Direct Elections
- Shas Tells Barak: Let Netanyahu Run for Premiership or Knesset will be Dissolved
- Reports: Israeli Election Date Likely to be May 22