No dead in bombing attack at northern Israel as Sharon cabinet expected to weigh response to Rishon Letzion assault
A Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday morning at Megido junction, located in northern Israel and a few kilometers from the northern West Bank city of Jenin, injuring himself, Israeli police said.
Israeli police initially said the bomber was killed in the explosion, but a police official later told Army Radio the attacker was wounded and later rushed to an Israeli hospital. It seems part of the bomb did not explode.
According to media reports, one Israeli was lightly injured in the explosion.
The bomber was walking near the highway junction when the blast went off, possibly prematurely. A group of Israeli soldiers was standing at a nearby bus stop and might have been the intended target, Army Radio added.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, the second suicide bombing in a 12-hour period.
Late Tuesday, a Hamas suicide bomber in Rishon Letzion set off a blast that ripped through a billiard parlor, killing the attacker and 16 Israelis.
Israeli police believe that the bomber came from the Gaza Strip, Israel Radio reported.
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon cut short his visit to Washington. On Sharon's return late Wednesday, he was expected to convene his cabinet ministers at an air force base adjacent to Ben-Gurion Airport to discuss Israel's response to the bombing, Israel Radio reported.
Referring to Israel's potential response to Rishon Letzion bombing attack, Israeli army chief spokesman said Wednesday that the army was prepared for the possibility that the government could order new military offensives in the Palestinian territories. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Suicide bombing attack in Rishon Letzion: at least two Israelis killed, more than 20 injured; PA condemns
- Suicide bombing attack near Tel Aviv: at least 15 dead, scores injured; Hamas claims responsibility
- Suicide Bombing in Jerusalem Kills Bomber, Leaves Several Injured
- Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility for Jerusalem Suicide Bombing, Threatens more Attacks
- Bus attack in Israel: at least 17 Israelis killed; Islamic Jihad claims responsibility