North Korea Mourns Death of Assad, Close Ally
North Korea Monday announcing a mourning period until June 16 for president Hafez al-Assad of Syria, a staunch ally through several decades.
Flags will fly at half-mast at appointed places, the Korean Central News Agency said in a dispatch monitored in Seoul, South Korea.
Damascus has long maintained cordial political and military relations with Pyongyang, and has received major shipments of North Korean missiles.
Assad died on Saturday -- SEOUL (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- North Korea Offers to Hold Peace Talks with South Next Month
- Pyongyang Demands ‘Urgent’ US Troop Withdrawal from South Korea
- South Korean President Vows to Speed up Détente with North Korea
- North Korea calls for '\'national cooperation'\' with South Korea
- News Media of two Koreas Agree to Stop Trading Abuse