Observer chief rebuffs Syrian opposition crticism
The head of the Arab observer mission, General Mohammed al-Dabi, has defended the work of his team in Syria. The Sudanese, who had been sharply criticized by Syria's opposition said on Monday in front of the press in Cairo, that the task of the observers was not to investigate the truth, but to implement the protocol signed by the Arab League and the Syrian regime.
According to him, the protocol provides for the withdrawal of troops from the cities and the release of political prisoners. Al-Dabi said in recent days that 2239 prisoners were released. However, there are no confirmed reports about the exact number of Syrians arrested. During the protests.
He refused to comments on the Syrian opposition's claims regarding crimes committed in Syria. He stated that the violence in Syria since the arrival of the team has been gradually declining, adding that the "imagination of the Syrian opposition does not concern me." Over doubts regarding his character, Dabi said he is not wanted by the International Criminal Court. "All what is being said around me in the media does not concern me," said Dabi.
"The mission worked in 5 major sites in Syria, after filing the initial report, we visited 15 sites in Syria, and our mission was to inspect what is happening on the ground in Syria," pointing out that the withdrawal of Syrian army forces as soon as the the observers arrive.
Dabi noted that it is the duty of the mission to ensure the commitment of the Syrian government to implementat the Arab League Protocol.