Oman Football Crumbles in Front of Fans
Oman crumbled in front of its fans on home turf against Switzerland losing 1-4 in its opening game of the Four-Nation Soccer Tournament at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex.
According to al-Watan daily, Oman played especially bad on defense, allowing Switzerland to dominate the first half when they scored their first two goals. Oman did play better in the second half, attacking the goal, but not scoring for the first 15 minutes. The Swiss player, Mario, however, struck for the second time of the game on the 67th minute, putting Oman down 3-0. Badr al Mahrouqi's penalty on the 77th minute was Oman's only goal in the game. The Swiss fourth goal was scored on the 89th minute by Yakin Hakin.
Swiss coach, Mr. Hans Peter Zouk said after the game that he was happy with the performance of his team who fully implemented his game plan. Regarding the Omani team he said it played better in the second half.
In the other game of the tournament, UAE held Slovenia to a 1-1 draw. Slovenia scored first on the 82nd minute. Five minutes later the UAE's response arrived through Yasir Salem's goal. Abdullah Al Musfir, the UAE coach said after the game the team had played well. He added the final result was not important to him. He took the job just 10 days ago and this tournament is his first opportunity to learn more about his team.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Yasser Al Qahtani Pips Rivaldo, Koji Nakata, Alejandro Molina And Artur Gevorkyan To Take Home Title Of Questnet™’S First ‘Goal Of The Month’ Scorer
- Contepomi Kicks Pumas to Victory over NSW
- Iran's Piroozi Beats Qatar's Al-Wakreh 4-2 in Soccer Match
- Dubai Sports channel to telecast OPL matches in UAE
- Omani defender optimistic ahead of World Cup qualifiers