One Israeli killed as Hizbullah launches massive rocket attack
Hizbullah on Wednesday fired its heaviest barrage of rockets on northern Israel in one day. An Israeli man was killed Wednesday when a Katyusha struck Kibbutz Saar, north of Nahariya, the Israeli media reported.
Also Wednesday, a missile fired by Hizbullah fell in an open area of the West Bank, some 70km from the northern border. The missile landed near the Palestinian city of Jenin. There were no injuries.
"We know that they did not intend to strike Palestinian territory. They intended to strike Israel," said Fahmi Zarer, a spokesman for Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah Party. "It was only a technical problem that made this rocket land here in the Palestinian territories."
In northern Israel, 12 other people were injured and homes in four communities sustained direct rocket strikes Wednesday morning. Two Israeli soldiers were also wounded Wednesday by Katyusha rockets which landed on the Lebanese side of the border.
Hizbullah's Al-Manar television said 200 rockets hit Israeli settlements, but the claim could not immediately be verified. Lebanese security forces said more than 300 rockets had been fired by Hizbullah since dawn.
In the south, Israeli forces tried but failed to enter the hill village of Mis al-Jabal, security officials said. A statement from Hizbullah said that the group had "repulsed the attackers."
Israeli troops were also engaged in a second front further north and were trying to take the village of Aadaisseh, the officials said. Hizbullah said it had destroyed three tanks and a bulldozer.
Hizbullah's Al-Manar television also said that clashes were taking place close to the Christian border village of Rmeish.
- Israel launches massive attack on Gaza rocket launching sites as 19 more Palestinians arrested in West Bank
- Israeli soldier dies of wounds sustained during Hizbullah attack; Israel: Hizbullah plans further attacks
- Massive Israeli Attack Kills More Than 30 Palestinians Since Midnight; One Israeli Killed in West Bank
- One Hizbullah Fighter Killed; Lebanon FM Downplays Escalation Along Southern Border
- One Palestinian killed as Israel uses massive forces in Gaza Strip; Israeli shot dead near Ramallah