"Over 200" dead in new Syria massacre
More than 150 people, according to Syrian Observatory of Human Rights (SOHR), and 200 according to a Syrian rebel leader, were killed Thursday in an attack with tanks and helicopters by government forces in the Syrian town of Treimsa , located in central Syria.
"Government troops bombed (Treimsa) using tanks and helicopters," said by phone the president of the SOHR, Rami Abdel Rahman. The NGO has estimated that the death toll amounts to over 150, thus putting the overall daily death toll on Thursday at over 200. "Considering the small size of the town, it is perhaps the biggest massacre since the beginning of the revolution," said Mr. Abdel Rahman.
Abu Mohamad, a rebel leader of fighters based nearby has said the attack had left "over 200 dead ".
According to an activist living in the province, the situation is particularly serious because the government forces shelled a mosque where many people had sought refuge. Treimsa "is now empty. Everyone is dead or has fled, "said the activist, calling himself Abu Ghazi.
"About thirty army vehicles have completely surrounded the village. There was no way out. Whoever tried to escape through the fields was shot," said a fellow activist. "After the bombing, the army came (into Treimsa) with small arms and the (pro-regime militia called) Shabiha followed with knives," he added.
According to the official news agency SANA, a "terrorist group" clashed with the army in the town. Without giving any assessment, SANA said that there had been "heavy casualties in the ranks of terrorists" and that three soldiers were killed.