Palestinian Authority says Hamas planned to kill senior officials

Published July 4th, 2009 - 08:28 GMT

Palestinian Authority forces seized large sums of money from men they accuse of plotting to kill government officials, a security source said on Saturday. According to Reuters, the official said evidence would only be produced "at a later date". However, he added that over the past few weeks men known to be linked to Hamas have been detained across the West Bank.

 

"Security forces have seized some $8.5 million in cash since March until now and have arrested a number of people who have recently purchased homes adjacent to government and military installations, mainly in the city of Nablus. We will produce the evidence at the appropriate time," the official was quoted as saying by Reuters.

 

According to him, investigators suspected that Hamas activists followed the movements by government officials and security forces. He conveyed forces had also seized uniforms used by various Palestinian security forces.

 

"Hamas' intention is to establish a parallel security services in the West Bank," the source said.

 

Last week, Tayyeb Abdel Rahim, a top aide to Palstinian Authority chief Mahmoud Abbas, said about 10 Hamas loyalists were detained on suspicion of planning attacks against Palestinian officials.