Revealed: Qaddafis bankrolled Sarkozy presidential run to the tune of ‘€50 million’
France’s former President Nicolas Sarkozy with he late Libyan leader, Muammar Qaddafi.
Click here to add AFP as an alert
Disable alert for AFP,
Click here to add Constitutional Council as an alert
Disable alert for Constitutional Council,
Click here to add Le Parisien as an alert
Disable alert for Le Parisien,
Click here to add Muammar Qaddafi as an alert
Disable alert for Muammar Qaddafi,
Click here to add Mussa Kussa as an alert
Disable alert for Mussa Kussa,
Click here to add Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet as an alert
Disable alert for Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet,
Click here to add Nicolas Sarkozy as an alert
Disable alert for Nicolas Sarkozy,
Click here to add Tripoli as an alert
Disable alert for Tripoli,
Click here to add Ziad Takieddine as an alert
Disable alert for Ziad Takieddine
France’s former President Nicolas Sarkozy took more than €50 million from the late Libyan leader, Muammar Qaddafi, a French judge has been told, a report on Thursday revealed.
Lebanese-born businessman, Ziad Takieddine told an investigative judge that he has “written proof” that transfers from Qaddafi and one of his sons to Sarkozy exceeded €50m in illegal payments, British newspaper the Independent reported.
The transfers helped prop up Sarkozy’s first presidential campaign in 2006-7, which was “abundantly” financed by Tripoli and continued until just before the downfall of the Libyan regime, which was partly pushed by French and British airstrikes in 2011.
Sources close to Takieddine, according to the Independent, rebuffed the allegations as “outrageous” and “self-interested.”
When similar allegations arose in April 2012, Sarkozy’s then campaign spokeswoman Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet Saturday dismissed the latest report as “ridiculous” and a “clumsy diversion” orchestrated by Hollande’s camp.
In an email to AFP news agency she said Sarkozy’s 2007 campaign funds had been cleared by the Constitutional Council after the elections with no queries.
The 2006 document in Arabic, which website Mediapart said was signed by Qaddafi’s foreign intelligence chief Mussa Kussa, referred to an “agreement in principle to support the campaign for the candidate for the presidential elections, Nicolas Sarkozy, for a sum equivalent to 50 million euros.”
The left-wing investigative website made similar assertions on March 12, based on testimony by a former doctor of a French arms dealer alleged to have arranged the campaign donation, which Sarkozy slammed as “grotesque.”
Takieddine, who is at the center of the latest claims, “has been a fixer for legal - and allegedly illegal - dealings between France and the Middle East for 20 years,” reported the Independent.
But he himself under formal investigation “for allegedly organizing and receiving illegal kick-backs on arms deals over two decades,” the newspaper reported.
In comments made to newspaper Le Parisien, he said his allegations against Sarkozy were part of a proposed trade-off with the French judicial system, in that a deal would include an investigation into French politicians financed by Libya.