Qataris Send Funds to Chechens
Qataris are eager to help needy Muslims across the globe, and are now focusing much of their attention on Chechnya, where Russians are battling with local Muslim fighters seeking independence for their province.
The examinations and student department requested that the public participate in an aid campaign to supply the suffering Chechens with basic human needs, al-Watan daily reports.
The special event will be held on Monday (January 31st) at the exhibition hall nearby the department facilities. It will be scheduled as follows:
* 0800-0930 - men only
* 0935-1230 - women only
* 1600-2000 - women only
Meanwhile, the Qatari Telecommunication Corporation (Q-Tel) continued to fund charity and volunteer organizations that are working to help needy, sick, poor and disabled people in Islamic countries. As part of this drive, Q-Tel donated QR80,778 to the Shiekh Id Ben Muhammad al-Thani Charitable Society, which is to be earmarked for the Chechen people. (QR3.64=$1).
Q-Tel officials announced they would continue to collect donations from their employees for the sake of the Chechens.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Report :Two Chechens Killed by Explosion, 22 by Russian Troops
- Saddam urges to end Moscow hostage crisis, says it benefits U.S., Israel
- Jordanian Islamist opposition call on Russia to grant Chechens independence
- Chechnya Appeals for Skilled to Return and Rebuild Country
- Chechens Claim to Have Killed Eight Russians in Grozny