Reeling from Qusair defeat, FSA says ready to fight in Lebanon
Salim Idriss, the commander of the Syrian rebel forces, warned Wednesday that fighters seeking to oust President Bashar Assad could target Hezbollah in Lebanon if authorities failed to put a stop to the resistance group’s activities in Syria.
“The fighters are ready to move the battles into Lebanon to confront Hezbollah members fighting alongside the Syrian regime forces,” the Free Syrian Army commander told BBC.
“The Syrian opposition will have to take necessary measures if the Lebanese authorities fail to end Hezbollah’s interference in Syria battles,” he added.
The remarks of Idriss came as Syrian rebels conceded defeat to Hezbollah-backed regime troops in the Homs town of Qusair early Wednesday.
The Syrian commander also said that “there are now a very large number of Hezbollah fighters in Syria’s Qusair, Aleppo and Damascus.”
“I can say they are everywhere in the country,” he said.
Hezbollah’s growing military intervention in Syria has raised the risks of a possible spillover of violence to Lebanon.
Last month, two rockets hit Beirut’s southern suburb, a Hezbollah stronghold, a day after its chief Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah confirmed his group’s military involvement in Syria.
However, the FSA denied responsibility for the incident.