Report: Israel deploys Patriot missile batteries in fear of 9/11 attacks
The Israeli Air Force has mobilized reservists on emergency orders to man Patriot missile batteries that have been deployed at various locations around the country in the event of an airborne strike.
The Patriot missile batteries have been deployed at three sites around the country - in Haifa in the Negev and in the region of the resort city of Eilat.
According to Haaretz daily, the decision to position the Patriots was taken a few days ago in anticipation of the anniversary of the September 11 attacks in the United States. A top defense source said that the decision had stemmed from "a combination of intelligence information and assessments" pointing to the possibility that Palestinian or other groups were likely to attempt a large air-mounted strike on major targets in Israel as well. (Albawaba.com)
- Israeli Air Force to Deploy Anti-Aircraft Missiles Against Attacks Like September 11
- Kuwait deployed ten US Patriot missile batteries
- Bahrain takes delivery of US Patriot anti-missile batteries
- US provides Israel with two Patriot batteries
- Israel: Iraqi Missile Attacks Unlikely, no Need for more Patriot Batteries