Russia confirms nuclear fuel supply to Iran power plant
Russia will be supplying nuclear fuel for the Bushehr nuclear power plant it is building in Iran even if the latter fails to sign an additional protocol on guarantees with the International Atomic Energy Agency, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko said in Moscow on Thursday.
According to Itar-Tass, he said, though, that the nuclear fuel would be supplied only after Russia and Iran have concluded an agreement on the return of spent nuclear fuel to Russia.
These latest comments contradicted British Prime Minister Tony Blair's announcement Wednesday that President Vladimir Putin made during the recent G8 summit committed Russia to ending sales of nuclear fuel to Iran until the country's nuclear activities come under greater international control.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Rosatom's TVEL Fuel Company is ready to supply nuclear fuel to the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant
- Iran proposes Russia to participate in new nuclear power projects
- Iran, Russia sign agreement to return spent fuel of Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant
- Russia to deliver nuclear fuel to power plant in Iran
- Russia announces plans to build a nuclear power plant in Egypt