Russia determined to build nuclear power plant in Iran, despite U.S. opposition
Russia will complete the construction of atomic power plant in Iran despite opposition from Washington, Russia's Atomic Energy Minister Alexander Rumyantsev said.
According to Rumyantsev, Russia had no joint nuclear projects with Iran besides the construction of the Bushehr plant in the south of the country, the ITAR-TASS news agency reported.
"I can guarantee that we do not cooperate in military uses of nuclear energy at all," Rumyantsev added.
However, "this issue will still be raised in our talks with the United States, which are concerned that Iran may get hold of nuclear weapons," the minister admitted.
The United States and Israel fear that the Russian-Iranian nuclear cooperation could enable Tehran to acquire the technology needed to build nuclear weapons. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iran determined to continue with nuclear development plans despite US concerns
- Despite U.S. opposition, Russia plans to build second nuclear power plant in Iran
- Russia: No need to halt construction of nuclear plant in Iran
- Despite US pressure: Russia reiterates commitment to build Iran's nuclear power plant
- Russia vows to complete Iranian nuclear power plant construction