Six People Wounded in Tehran Mortar Attack
Six people were wounded, one seriously, in a mortar attack in northern Tehran on Monday evening claimed by the outlawed armed opposition, state television reported.
The television said the attack had hit a sports complex, and added that security forces had located the area where it said five mortars had been fired from but did not give further details.
It said there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage after the blasts at 8:15 p.m. (1745 GMT) near Vanak Square. The television gave no further details.
Neighborhood residents told AFP that one mortar had hit a police headquarters nearby and that a man had been taken into custody over the attack, but there was no official confirmation of the reports.
Security forces have blocked off access to the area.
In a phone call to AFP in Nicosia, the outlawed opposition People's Mujahedeen claimed credit for the attack and denied it had hit a sports complex or any other civilian targets.
A spokesman for the group said the attack hit a command headquarters of the state security forces (SSF) in Tehran and had been carried out "in solidarity with student protests and strikes throughout the country."
in that attack.
Tehran regularly accuses the Mujahedeen of causing civilian casualties in its attacks and has repeatedly called on foreign governments to stop harboring the "terrorist" group – (Agencies)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- People's Mujahedeen Says Mortar Attack in Tehran Carried out by Women
- Radio: Iran City Hit by Mortar Attack, no Injuries or Damage
- Tehran: Mujahedeen Fires a Dozen Shells on City, no Casualties
- Iranian Opposition Claims Rocket Attacks at Kermanshah
- Opposition Claims Attack on Revolutionary Guards in South Iran