Sources: United States Deputy Secretary of Defense to visit Turkey
United States Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz, is expected to visit the Turkish capital of Ankara next week, the Kuwait News Agency reported Tuesday, citing an informed source at the Turkish Foreign Ministry.
The source added, "US Assistant Secretary of State, Marc Grossman, might accompany Wolfowitz during his visit to Ankara."
"The program of the US delegation has not been specified yet, but Wolfowitz informed the Turkish Foreign Ministry his desire to meet with the Turkish President, Ahmet Necdet Sezer, and Prime Minister, Abdullah Gul," he conveyed.
"The American delegation will discuss with the new Turkish government the Iraqi file based on statements made by leader of the Justice and Development Party, Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Turkish Prime Minister regarding Turkey's refusal of any military operation against Iraq and its refusal of taking part in any military operation against a neighboring country," the source further added. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US President invites Turkish governing party leader to Washington
- Pentagon No. 2 visits Turkey; Iraqi issue tops agenda
- Deputy Defense Secretary: United States supports “urgent and lasting solution” to Cyprus dispute
- Ambassador: Turkish Prime Minister to visit Iran soon
- Israeli Defense Minister to Visit Turkey