Syria: Twitter pic of dead teen Barcelona fan goes viral
When Ahmad Othman, 14, was killed on May 2, his photo was published by #Tweet4SyrianChild, a Twitter campaign that highlights the suffering of Syrian children.
The photo soon went viral after the Spanish daily newspaper Sport, close the FC Barcelona, republished the picture. Thousands of Barcelona fans then began sharing and commenting on Othman’s photo.
Othman was killed along with his family after Bashar al-Assad's forces shelled the town of al-Baydah near Banyas last month.
Othman’s relatives said he used to wear Barcelona’s jersey every day and never missed a match by the Spanish club, his relatives said, according to Syrian opposition media. He even dreamed of becoming a famous footballer like Lionel Messi, one Facebook page belonging to the opposition said.
- fc barcelona wins place in fifa club world cup uae 2009
- Syrian army shelling kills 11 in southern province
- Syria's propaganda war continues as opposition leader accused of backing Israel
- General strike in Syria as over 60 killed during weekend
- More deaths in Syria as Assad speaks on 30,000 dead by summer