Syrian Group Calls for Full Rights for Former Political Prisoners
A Syrian human rights group appealed Friday to authorities to accord full civil rights to former political prisoners in the country, said reports.
The Committee to Defend Human Rights in Syria called on the government to give former political prisoners the right to vote, to travel abroad and to form political parties or other organizations, AFP reported.
In a statement, the committee asked authorities to remedy the situation "in a fair manner as quickly as possible" and to free all remaining political prisoners in order to "turn the page."
Although Syrian President Bashar Assad has released hundreds of political prisoners since taking office in July, the group said that there are still 800 people in Syrian jails.
Two months ago, Assad pardoned hundreds of prisoners, most of them belong to the banned Muslim Brotherhood movement – Albawaba.com
- European MP Halima Bumedian Teiri Meets Syria’s Intellects, Human Rights Committees
- Syrian Muslim Brotherhood Leader: Political Openness Meaningless If Human Rights Abused
- Syria: Prominent political prisoner given amnesty by the president
- Amnesty Calls for ‘Immediate’ Release of Political Prisoners in Syria
- Syrian intellectuals call to release political prisoners