Syrian police disperse protest by human rights activists
Syrian police on Monday dispersed a protest by human rights activists demanding political and civil reforms on the 41st anniversary of the ruling Baath party's accession to power.
According to The AP, the number of detained activists was not published. Witnesses said several were seen taken away in buses by Syrian police.
They added several cameramen and reporters were also arrested.
The protest outside Parliament, organized by the Committees for the Defense of Democratic Liberties and Human Rights in Syria, was the first of its kind in Syria.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syrian human rights activist says travel banned by secret police
- At least 11 dead as over million protest in Syria
- Freed Syrian activist vows to continue fight for human rights
- European MP Halima Bumedian Teiri Meets Syria’s Intellects, Human Rights Committees
- EU Files Complaint with Syria over Arrests of Activists