Three Egyptian Copts Hurt in Church Clash with Muslims
Three Coptic Christians were injured in the southern Egyptian province of Minya during clashes with Muslims opposed to the construction of a new church, residents said Sunday.
The Christians from Dafash in Upper Egypt were preparing to tear down the village's old church after having received authorization to build a bigger one on the same grounds when they were attacked by Muslim residents late Saturday.
Three Copts were hurt and kiosks belonging to Muslims were set on fire in reprisal attacks, residents said. Fifteen people were arrested after the incidents -- MINYA, Egypt (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Christians, Muslims Clash in Egypt; Reports of Several Killed Denied
- Twenty Hurt in Cairo Clash between African Christians, Egyptian Muslims
- Egypt: Clashes after five Coptic Christians shot dead
- Violent clashes between Egypt's Muslims and Christians leave eight injured
- Cairo: At least 9 dead in clashes between Muslims and Christians