Three Lebanese security officers shot dead in Sidon
Three Lebanese security officers were shot dead on Thursday during a raid on the home of a member of a Palestinian Islamist group in the southern port city of Sidon, security sources said.
They said they were targeting a member of Usbat al-Ansar, a radical group based in the nearby Palestinian refugee camp of Ain el-Hilweh.
According to Reuters, witnesses said the Lebanese army rushed to seal off the area and detained several people.
Usbat al-Ansar is headed by a Palestinian Islamist who is a fugitive from a death sentence in Lebanon. The United States has ordered a freeze on its assets for suspected links to the al Qaeda network of Osama bin Laden. (Albawaba.com)
- Clashes resume in Lebanon largest Palestinian refugee camp
- Clashes in Ain el-Hilweh refugee camp, four wounded
- Extremist wanted by Lebanese authorities found dead in Ein Al Hilweh camp
- One killed, Two Injured in Palestinian Infighting at Refugee Camp in South Lebanon
- Fateh Member Shot to Death in Lebanese Refugee Camp