Tunisian security forces kill 12 ¨criminals¨
Tunisian security forces killed 12 ¨criminals¨ and arrested 15 near Tunis after a fierce gunbattle, a government source said on Thursday. "The tracking of members of a criminal group ended on Wednesday afternoon with security forces killing 12 members of a criminal group and arrested 15 others," the source said, according to Reuters.
The authorities said Wednesday's clash in a southern Tunis suburb resulted from a hunt for a gang of criminals who clashed with police in Tunis on Dec. 23.
In that incident, two gang members were killed and two policemen were hurt.
Following last month´s incident, Tunisian authorities tightened security throughout the country, setting up roadblocks on main roads, residents said.
- Seven killed in clash between gunmen and Tunisian forces
- Damascus: Five dead as security forces foil ”terrorist” attack
- Two Islamists blow selves up in Mecca; Gunman killed, eight Saudi policemen injured in Riyadh shootout
- Syria government critic found dead
- Syria: Five ”terrorists” die in clash with security forces